MANILA, August 22, 2012— As the government is set to appoint the next chief of the Department of Interior on Local Government (DILG), two Catholic bishops underline the need for vigilance among Filipinos.
Both retired Archbishop Oscar Cruz and Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo believe that the position left by the late DILG secretary Jesse Robredo is crucial to the government, thus, the need for serious public attention.
“The people should remain vigilant this early because this means that he will have a replacement,” said Cruz, former president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP).
The archbishop is a personal friend of Robredo having been allies in the fight against the multimillion-peso underground lottery called jueteng.
Pabillo, chairman of the CBCP’s National Secretariat for Social Action, Justice and Peace (Nassa), said the post left by Robredo would be a very big shoe to fill for anyone who will be named as his replacement.
“This is a big challenge for the government to find someone who can do the job rightly like what secretary Robredo did,” he said.
Last Tuesday, authorities conducting search and rescue operations finally recovered Robredo’s body in the waters of Masbate.
From Cebu City, Robredo was on his way home to Naga City when the private plane he was riding crashed last Saturday.
President Benigno Aquino III has already declared national days of mourning for Robredo from August 21 until the day of a state funeral on August 28.
Senator Panfilo Lacson is among the names that have previously surfaced as possible contenders for the top DILG post even as Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. was named as the agency’s interim chief. [CBCPNews] Vigilance urged in selection of new DILG chief